TRIALS AND TESTINGS - LET GOD BE GOD


     
                  TRIALS AND TESTINGS - LET GOD BE GOD


INDEX: 
- GOD IS OUR REFUSGE AND FORTRESS
- HE IS THERE FOR YOU
- I BELIEVE, BUT I CAN NOT SEEM TO GET A HOLD OF HIM
- THE REQUIRED TRIALS
- THERE ARE TIMES WHEN HE MAY SEEM FAR AWAY
- WHERE WAS GOD WHEN...?
- CONCLUSION


            
                       GOD IS OUR REFUGE AND FORTRESS
  "He that dwells in the secret place of the Most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty...He shall cover you with His feathers, and under His wings shall you trust."  Psalm 91:1,4 "Because You have been my Help, therefore, under the shadow of Your wings will I rejoice." Psalm 63:7"And I will ask the Father, and He shall give you another Comforter, that He may abide with you FOREVER; even the Spirit of Truth." John 14:16-17

 I was a newer Christian, about twenty years old, and the sister of one of the girls in our youth group walked up the street passed me a few feet away. My back was to her initially, but she caught my attention. I turned and  noticed that she was almost in tears. As she walked by I sensed a wall of (as best as I can put it) amazing holiness about her. Initially I thought to myself, "Wow, she sure is a holy person!" I then realized that she was grieving as they had just lost a brother in a drowning accident; what I felt was the presence of the Holy Spirit of Jesus comforting her.

 Early in my walk with the Lord I had learned that, as the Bible says, He is our Refuge, our Fortress, our Hiding Place, and my Very Best Friend! I hardly imagined that my faith in Jesus would turn into the most wonderful and intimate relationship possible, I had never thought that I would call God my Friend. Indeed, initially my relationship with Him was and is as He is, "the Lord". I prayed, read my Bible and went to church. But as I leaned on Him more and more, sought Him, spent time with Him, and began to put Him first instead of an ADD ON to my agenda. My relationship shifted from being a self pursuing, arrogant son (although I still need work), to a friend. I became more keenly aware of His presence, His voice, His Love, His peace, and as the apostle Peter put it, rejoice "with joy unspeakable and full of glory." 1 Peter 1:8. Consequently, whenever I was alone, I was never lonely, when I was fearful or hurt He comforted Me;  weak, He strengthened me. When I needed help He often came to my aid (except when I needed to learn a good lesson, which I suppose is also His help). Along with the comforting He has been faithful to rebuke me, and discipline me as a Good Father would, all of which I am very thankful for, although I may not have been so thankful at the time. 
 To be fair, I need to mention that to get to that point in my walk with Him, He had to get me alone, which knocked off all my original props (these were all choices that I had made, but not with this intention); my family, my music, my television, and whatever other support I may have had. The more one has of Him, the less one needs of anything else. Let me  solemnly admonish you that whatever He wants of you, you most assuredly need it for your best interest, and the dividends are incalculable. So be willing to pay the price Revelation 3:18.

NOTE - With each individual He works according to the need and character.  What He needed to do in me to get me to a place of deeper faith and love, and still does, may not be the same for you. All we must be is willing, obedient, and WHOLEHEARTED. "'And you shall seek Me, and find Me, when you shall search for Me with all your heart. And I will be found of you,' says the Lord." Jeremiah 29:13-14

 Jesus Christ has given of Himself to us in ways that we can hardly imagine, and so desperately need. In a world that is plagued with alcoholism, drugs, and escapes of every other kind, we can easily miss the One for whom we are created, Who is our Everything, and trade Him off for comforters and helps that are infinitely inferior.



 HE IS THERE FOR YOU
 -He said, "I will never leave you, nor forsake you." Hebrews 13:5, "...and lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world." Matthew28:20 Whether we sense His Presence, hear His voice, or have His peace, He is true to His word, and we can be assured that no matter what is happening or how we feel, He is right there with us upholding us by His right hand. In these times when we cannot perceive Him, we just stay faithful and obedient to Him, and be patient "In your patience possess ye your souls." Luke 21:19, and He will meet you on the other side.
BEING CAREFUL MAKING DECISIONS UNDER STRESS - If pressed by situations, stressed by troubles, be very careful about making reactive decisions. If He is not saying anything to you, or directing you in any direction, hold to the last course He clearly put you on until He gives you a clear direction"...and let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts." Colossians 3:15 Hasty and panic decisions can be costly.

GET ALONE WITH HIM- "But Jesus Himself would often slip away to the wilderness and pray." Luke 5:16  NAS  - Even Jesus Christ Himself, the Son of the Living God had to MAKE TIME to get alone with His Heavenly Father, including while He was pressed and under demands, in order to get the strength, refreshing, and the direction He needed to carry out His mission. Do not wait until you are severely distressed before you decide that it is time to seek Him and clamour for His help. Get alone with Him often (daily) and pray, worship, read His Word (your Bible), and meditate on Him. Listen, this is not to make you more holy or spiritual or to get some sort of points with Him, but for your very strength and health. We NEED HIM every day!!! 
 It is important to mention that not all the times I have spent with the Lord have been wonderful, especially for Him. I can be dry, mechanical, repetitive, or often out in space somewhere. I realize that, and He most certainly does. Still, any effort of faith and love is so worth it. Never give up. Another point I should mention, is that in spite of all the effort, diligence, hard work, when the Lord wants to "Show up", He will do so when He so choses, and often it may have nothing to do with all your efforts. And to ensure humility, He may wonderfully visit and touch someone who, in your estimation, doesn't deserve it. Remember the parable of the workers in the vineyard, where the ones who worked only one hour got the same wages as those that worked all day(Matthew 20:1-16). Rejoice with them. May the Lord touch every life like that and as often as possible. He is so WONDERFUL!!! 
 
 I BELIEVE, BUT I CAN NOT SEEM TO GET AHOLD OF HIM

IS JESUS TESTING YOUR RESOLVE?
There are a couple of truly beautiful illustrations where Jesus seemed to ignore persons who were calling after Him, the Canaanite woman who wanted her daughter delivered from a vexing devil Matthew 15:21-28, and blind Bartimaeus Mark 10:46-52. In both cases Jesus seemed to ignore them, and kept walking away. But, neither of them gave up, instead they defied the resistance from the crowds, and persisted in spite of His 'apparent' indifference until Jesus was satisfied with their resolve. Dearly beloved, Jesus is not ignoring you or rejecting you, but like a chick that has to break through its egg, or the butterfly that has to break through its cocoon, there are times we need to persevere and break through whatever obstacles that are between us and Jesus, and be assured, like a parent waiting to catch their baby as he makes his first steps, so our Loving Lord Jesus is there waiting for you.
 Don't give up until you break through!
ARE YOU DOUBLE MINDED?
 Believe, doubt, believe, doubt. Sure, unsure, sure, unsure. What will it be? "But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavers is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed. For let not the man think that he will receive anything from the Lord. A double minded man is unstable in all his ways." James 1:6-8 This is a serious condition that must be repented of. Man up, make a decision, and stick with it.


 LET GOD BE GOD, FATHER KNOWS BEST
- We merely do our part by stepping out in faith and reaching out to Him. We then must allow Him to respond how, when, and whichever way He so choses. Lay your assumptions aside! As the Scriptures say, "Draw near to God, and He will draw near to you." James 4:8.  When the remnant of survivors of the Babylonian invasion of Jerusalem approached Jeremiah to inquire of God for their next direction, the Lord did not answer until ten days later. That became a real test of motives and faith for those people, and they failed miserably. Jeremiah 42:7. Do you recall how the Syrian General, Naaman, who had leprosy and went to Elisha the prophet to be cured by the Lord reacted when Elisha told him to dip in the Jordan seven times? He was furious. He was expecting Elisha to do some sort of magical type manoeuver. However, when he humbled himself and submitted, he not only was gloriously healed, but was also gloriously converted. 2 Kings 5. So be patient, humble, and let God be God.



THE REQUIRED TRIALS
 "...In the world you will have tribulation, but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world." John 16:33 This world is not our home and this life in all its wonders and glory is filled with conflict and troubles as we all are fully aware, and since Jesus called us to take up our cross and follow Him, we are guaranteed suffering and hardship. The fact is that so many people in this world are facing hardship and suffering, and they are not even following Jesus, so to be given over to complaint is a shame for a disciple of Jesus. Trials and testings are natural occurrences in life, and some are very necessary and even orchestrated by God Himself. "For You, O God, has proved us. You have tried us as silver is tried. You brought us into a net; you laid affliction upon our loins. You have caused men to ride over our heads; we went through fire and through water: but You brought us out into a wealthy place." Psalm 33:10-13  There is much that our Heavenly Father wants to do in our life, but grooming and preparations are no doubt required. He will bring situations and people in our lives that may push us to our limits, but if we patiently endure and remain constant in Him we will find His amazing rewards. 
Fair is not as important as Right - When going through trials and trouble, we often feel unjustly treated, that God isn't listening,  and things are not fair. But what God is looking for is a godly reaction and the fruit of His Holy Spirit working in our life more than perhaps the justice we may even deserve. He will deal with the other issues in His way and in His own good time. "And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also, knowing that tribulation works patience; and patience, experience, and experience, hope; and hope makes not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us." Romans 5:3-5, "Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try (test) you, as though some strange thing happened unto you: but rejoice, inasmuch as you are partakers of Christ's sufferings; that, when His glory shall be revealed, you may be glad also with exceeding joy." 1 Peter 4:12-13,"But the God of all grace, Who has called us unto His eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that you have suffered a while, make you perfect, stable, strengthened, settle you." 1 Peter 5:10 As much as we may not like it, God is doing a wonderful work in us. Let us, therefore, submit and let Him complete "His perfect work."



THERE ARE TIMES WHEN HE WILL SEEM FAR AWAY.
"MY GOD, my God, why have You forsaken me, and from the worlds of my roaring? O my God, I cry in the daytime, but you do not hear, and in the night season, an am not silent." Psalm 22:1-2 "And in the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice saying, 'Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?' Which is, being interpreted, My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me?" Mark 15:34. Although the first verse was prophetic of the sufferings of Christ, that was also an experience of David. And the fulfillment, as stated in this second verse of the Scriptures, was the cry of our Lord Jesus just prior to His death, when it is said that God the Father turned His back on Him "For He has made Him to he sin for us, Who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in Him." 2 Corinthians 5:21 We do not know for certain, but it may very well have been that He could not look on His Son Who became our sin for us. We will never know the price that the Father and the Son had paid for our forgiveness and redemption, but we do know the suffering was unbearable. Dear friends, the point I also want to make is that, if you have not already experienced it, there may be times when it will seem that the Lord is not there, or not listening, or has abandoned you. Stay faithful and believe the amazing promises of His Word. He will never leave us nor forsake us. Be patient and trust Him! The trials of our faith are so necessary. Remember that we also have an adversary who wants us to doubt the goodness and faithfulness of our loving Heavenly Father. Do not give in, and keep crying out to Him. Notice what David said, "I am worn out from groaning; all night long I flood my bed with weeping and drench my couch with tears." Psalm 6:6  Do not give into the assumption that your relationship with Jesus will not require constant persevering effort and that there will not be times that all you have to go on are the promises of His Word. Oh, but He is so worth it, and there are matchless times of refreshing!
 
WHERE WAS GOD WHEN...?
 People have often said, "Where was God then...? Where was He when I needed Him? We cannot know all the answers, and can never know all that is involved in every situation, but we know that God is Just and True. We can make many assumptions, especially if we feel we are deserving, but how often is this a possibility..."Wisdom cries without, she utters her voice in the streets: she cries in the chief place of concourse, in the openings of the gates: in the city she utters her words, saying, 'How long, you simple ones, will you love simplicity" and the scorners delight in their scorning, and fools hate knowledge? Turn at my reproof. Behold I will pour out my spirit unto you, I will make known my words to you. Because I called, and our refused, I have stretched out my hand, and no man regarded...then shall they call upon me, but I will not answer, they shall seek me early, but they shall not find me. For they hated knowledge, and did not choose the fear of the Lord. They would have none of My counsel, they despised all my reproof. Therefore shall they eat the fruit of their own way, and be filled with their own devises.'" Proverbs 1:20-31
 We can be so oblivious to our ways, attitudes, and arrogance, yet ready to blame everyone else, and especially God when things do not work out in our favor, and all the while we fail to see how much to blame we are for our own misfortunes. Time and time again the Lord reaches out His hand to us, pleads with us, tries to get our attention, but we flatly refuse, ignore, or walk away. Then, when calamity hits, we wonder where He is and how come He let such things happen to us. We had chosen that fate through our own arrogance and presumption.
 Has the Lord been calling you? Have you been rejecting His invitation and ignoring His warnings? Perhaps it is time you stop and change directions before fate catches up with you? After you have treated Him with indifference or contempt, do you actually expect that He should come to your aid when in need? It is the same with our very salvation. After Jesus Christ had suffered and died for our sins, offers us forgiveness and eternal life, and we refuse to turn to Him and follow Him in this life, should we expect that He will welcome us into His Home in the next because we think we are good people and deserve it? The religious hypocrites in Jesus day were disgusted when the "SINNERS" of their time were flocking to Jesus, yet they felt they did not need Him. We are not going to make it to Heaven by mistake, nor will we end up in hell by accident. We choose our eternal destiny during our life by the choices we make and the way we behave. He loves you SO MUCH. Please, welcome Him with an open heart.


 WHY DOES GOD SEEM FAR AWAY?
 The displacement is more on our part than His. If you are not a Christian, a believer in the Lord Jesus Christ, then it is your sins that separate you from Him..."Behold, the Lord's hand is not shortened, that in cannot save, neither His ear heavy that it cannot hear: but you iniquities (sinful habits) have separated between you and your God and you sins have hid His face from you, that He will not hear." Isaiah 59:1-2 "And you has He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins. Wherein in time past you walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now works in the children of disobedience: among whom also we all had our conversation (lifestyle) in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others..." Ephesians 2;1-4 If you are still walking in sinful disobedience and are unrepentant before God Almighty, it is your sins that are separating Him from you, then expect Him to seem far away.


 HOW DO I RECONCILE WITH GOD?
"For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord." Romans 6:23 Jesus said, "...for if you believe not that I am He (the Son of God, the Savior of the world), you shall die in your sins." John 8:24 BUT, "THAT IF YOU SHALL CONFESS WITH YOUR MOUTH THE LORD JESUS, AND SHALL BELIEVE IN YOUR HEART THAT GOD HAS RAISED HIM FOR THE DEAD, YOU SHALL BE SAVED (FROM YOUR SINS)." Romans 10:9 Now that is awesome news!!! If you have not yet done this, confessed Jesus Christ as your Lord, repented of your sin, and believed that God has raised Him from the dead, DO SO NOW!!! And end the separation between you and God, and begin a new life of friendship and fellowship with Him.




 CONCLUSION
You have found the most amazing Treasure when you came to Jesus, Who is infinitely more valuable than whatever you feel you had to give up. Stay ever so close to Him, persevere in your relationship with Him, and enjoy Him - FOREVER!
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connecting With God - Fail Sures

THAT YOUR LOVE MAY ABOUND

OUR SIGNIFICANCE?